We all have a story to tell. We have people to thank, places we've been, endured hardships we never thought we'd recover from. Yet, here we are, surviving. At 30, I never thought I'd be where I am at in life currently, but then again...I've concluded it's good to have loose guidelines on life rather than plans. We all know life doesn't go as planned afterall.

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Go Fetch the Chicken Eggs!


You may or may not know this about me, but I had a lot of responsibility from a very young age growing up. We always had A LOT of animals growing up. Not really a farm per se (my new favorite phrase to thrown in lately) because it's not like these animals or most of them were useful. We had so many cats and dogs I can't even remember them all. I remember we raised ginea pigs, rabbits, Mice (to feed the snake, mind you, ICK!), hamsters, cats, birds.

You guessed it, we had a chicken coup growing up when I lived in Etters, Pa. We lived in the house in Etters until I was 8 years old. So every morning either myself or my brother had to go outside into the chicken coup and collect the eggs laid. The chicken coup was partly a large crate covered in chicken wire and that was connected to another part that looked similar to a shed, however, on both sides when you entered the door, little hay beds were made for the chickens to lay their eggs.

I remember one chicken in particular that was my favorite. It looked similar to the one I imported, fluffy like that. However, It was mostly white with like blue highlights. I couldn't find a photo or maybe my memory is just not correct, but I swear that's how I remember it!

I know, little did you know I'm a crazy country girl at heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment